The military operation, called ‘The Strong Hand’, has led to reports of warplanes and explosions across Gaza.
The Israel Defence Forces have announced a strike on Gaza on Thursday evening, shortly after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to respond to 34 rockets the military said had been fired into Israeli territory from Lebanon.
The Israeli military operation, called “The Strong Hand”, has led to reports of explosions across Gaza, as warplanes fly overhead. No casualties or injuries have been reported so far, but at least five sites have been targetted in the missile strike.
They include agricultural land in Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip, two sites south of Gaza City, farmland east of the Al-Zaitoun neighbourhood near Gaza City and a site east of Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip.
The news source AFP said a Palestinian security source has indicated that Hamas training sites were struck in the attack.
On Twitter, the Israel Defence Forces also said that air raid sirens are sounding in southern Israel.
This is a breaking story. More to follow.